What’s Happening in Point Loma-Ocean Beach: Calendar of Events for May/June 2019
• Bingo Games: 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, Portuguese Hall, 2818 Avenida de Portugal. (Doors open 4:30 p.m.) $21 to play all the games; food and drink for purchase, non-profit event. (619) 223-5880.
• Friday Night Liberty: 5-9 p.m. first Fridays at Liberty Station, 2640 Historic Decatur Road, open studios and performances. Next event June 7. (619) 573-9306. libertystation.com
• Midway Community Planning Advisory Group: Meets 3 p.m. third Wednesdays at San Diego Community College District, Continuing Education, West City Campus, 3249 Fordham St., Room 208. Next meets May 15.
• OB Farmers Market: 4-8 p.m. Wednesdays down Newport Avenue with entertainment, street food, flowers, crafts and produce for show and sale. (619) 279-0032.
• OB Library: Open 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Thursday-Saturday; 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday. Closed Sunday, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. Children’s Story Hour 10 a.m. Thursdays; Family Craft Hour 12:30 p.m. Thursdays; Baby/Children’s Yoga, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Signing Crafts & Games, infants-preschoolers, 3:15 p.m. Mondays, Signs at Play, 10:30 a.m. Fridays. (619) 531-1532.
• Open Mic Night: 7-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays at Lazy Hummingbird Coffee & Tea House, 4876 Santa Monica Ave. Hosted by Tyler Neuenswander. lazyhummingbirdob.com
• OB Town Council: Meets 7 p.m. fourth Wednesdays at Masonic Center, 1711 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. (619) 515-4400. Next meeting May 22. obtowncouncil.org
• OB Planning Board: Meets 6 p.m. first Wednesdays at Ocean Beach Rec Center, 4726 Santa Monica Ave. Next meeting June 5.
• Peninsula Community Planning Board: Meets 6 p.m. third Thursdays at Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Next meeting May 16. pcpb.net
• Point Loma Association: Meets 7:30 a.m. second Wednesdays at Bali Hai Restaurant, 2230 Shelter Island Drive. Next meeting June 12. pointloma.org
• Mean Green Team Cleanups: Meets 9 a.m. Fridays. Location posted on Point Loma Association’s Facebook page. Gather at spots around Point Loma to weed, pick up trash, etc. (619) 736-1752. pointloma.org/projects/mean-green-team
• Point Loma/Hervey Library: Open 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Thursday-Saturday; open 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday; open 12:30-5 p.m. Sunday. 3701 Voltaire St. Kids Song Jamboree 10:30 a.m. Mondays and 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays (exception: Building Blocks Story Time, May 29); Wrigglers & Crawlers Story Time 1 p.m. Sunday May 26; Lego Club 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Story Time 10:30 a.m. Thursdays; Arts & Crafts 11:15 a.m. Thursdays; Chess Club 2 p.m. Thursdays; Wii B’ Gamin’ 2:30 p.m. Fridays; After School Movie 2:30 p.m. Thursday, May 30 (Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them). Library closed Memorial Day, Monday, May 27. (619) 531-1539.
• Point Loma Native Plant Garden Work Party: 9-11 a.m. first Saturdays and third Sundays, 4444 Greene St. Light gardening activities and guided tour of the garden. All supplies provided. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Bring water and sun protection. Next meetings May 19 and June 1. E-mail email@example.com or call (619) 297-7380 to RSVP. sandiegoriver.org
• Sunset Cliffs Natural Park Council: Meets 6:45 p.m. first Mondays at Cabrillo Recreation Center, 3051 Canon St. Next meeting June 3. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Zumba Dance Class: 10-11 a.m. Saturdays, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. (619) 531-1539.
• Picture This! Film screenings, 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays, Point Loma/Hervey Library, 3701 Voltaire St. “RBG” May 14; “The Big Short” May 21; “Only the Brave” May 28. Free. (619) 531-1539.
• Oasis Lifelong Adventures: 1 p.m. Wednesdays, April-August, Community Room, Point Loma/Hervey Library, 3701 Voltaire St. May 15: Ovarian Cancer: No longer the silent killer. June 12: Earth-friendly eating for personal and planetary health, speaker Vicky Newman. June 19: Symbols in Art, speaker Julia Fister. sandiego.gov
• Clothing Swap: 7-8:30 p.m. May 16 (and every third Thursday), Lazy Hummingbird Coffee & Tea House, 4876 Santa Monica Ave. Swap out stuff you want to get rid of with like-minded individuals. $5, includes beverage while shopping. lazyhummingbirdob.com
• Spring into STEAM: Hurricanes vs. Houses: 4-5 p.m. Thursday, May 16, Community Room, Point Loma/Hervey Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Workshop for ages 9-12 on how hurricanes form over oceans. sandiego.gov facebook.com/pointlomalibrary
• Establishing a Garden: 2-3 p.m. Saturday, May 18, Ocean Beach Library, front lawn, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. In partnership with the OB Seed Library, UCCE Master Gardener Association of San Diego County presents its second workshop in the six-part series “Beginning Vegetable Gardening.” Free. (619) 531-1532.
• How-to Festival OB: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 18, Ocean Beach Library, Children’s Room, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. How to meditate (11 a.m.), DIY facial (noon), how to read music (1 p.m.) and how to use a loom (2 p.m.). Free. (619) 531-1532.
• How-to Festival Point Loma: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 18, Point Loma Hervey Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Community Room activities: How to glam up in 10 minutes (11 a.m.), how to make a greeting card journal (noon), how to make hand-printed cards using potatoes (1 p.m.), how to make Oreo truffles (2 p.m.). Teen space activities: How to do Chinese calligraphy (11 a.m.), how to make a beautiful wreath using recycled book pages (noon) and how to make a graduation ribbon lei (1 p.m.). Free. (619) 531-1539.
• Talmadge Art Show: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, May 19, Liberty Station Conference Center, 2600 Lanning Road. Decor, jewelry, art and more for sale. Free admission and parking. Also at the event, an Upcycled Jewelry Class, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Participants may bring personal pieces to incorporate, but all materials will be provided. Limited room. $95. Register at talmadgeartshow.com or call (619) 559-9082.
• Saving Heirloom Seeds: 6-7 p.m. Tuesday, May 21, Ocean Beach Library, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. Nathan Lou, executive director of the Mongol Tribe, will give a lesson on the history of heirloom seeds and their conservation. Also, participants will be able to check-out heirloom seed varieties from the OB Seed Library. (619) 531-1532.
• End of the School Year Party: 1:30-3 p.m. Thursday, May 23, Point Loma Hervey Library, 3701 Voltaire St. For kids and teens. Free. (619) 531-1539. sandiegolibrary.org
• Annual Butterfly Release: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, May 25, Zoro Garden, Balboa Park, El Prado. Live Painted Lady butterflies will be released at 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Children’s arts & crafts activities provided. Free. balboapark.org
• Festival of the Sea: May 25-27, Maritime Museum, 1492 N. Harbor Drive. Waterfront fun, entertainment, art and adventure. Tickets $8-$18. (619) 234-9153, ext. 102. sdmaritime.org
• Sewing/Craft Night: 6:15-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, 2160 Bacon St. OB Woman’s Club members say: ‘Bring a craft and join us as we stitch and bitch!’ (619) 222-1008. obwomansclub.org
• Tree Steward Information Session: 4-5 p.m., May 29, The San Diego Foundation in the Raymond Room (upstairs), 2508 Historic Decatur Rd. #200. Training provides participants with the skills, tools and knowledge to expand San Diego’s tree canopy and improve the longevity of the trees. RSVP for full details: treesandiego.org/events Questions? email@example.com
• (((amplified))) First Friday Arts District: 6:30 p.m. Friday, June 7 on the North Promenade between Stone Brewing World Bistro and the Greetings Tour mural at Liberty Station, 2640 Historic Decatur Road. Concerts from New Reveille and Nena Anderson, craft beer garden, pop-up market, dancing and more. Free admission. artsdistrictlibertystation.com
• OB Library Summertime Book Sale: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, June 8, OB Library, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. Proceeds benefit Friends of OB Library projects. (619) 531-1532.
• Peninsula Singers Spring Concert: 2 p.m. Sunday, June 9, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St., half-classical music/half classic rock, directed by Sarah Suhonen with Stewart Simon on piano. Free. (619) 531-1539. All Souls Concert, 7 p.m. Friday, June 14, All Souls Episcopal Church, 1475 Catalina Blvd. Tickets: $15. (619) 223-6394. peninsulasingerssandiego.org
• OB Woman’s Club Meeting: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 11 at 2160 Bacon St. Any interested women are cordially invited to join, second Tuesdays. (619) 222-1008. obwomansclub.org
• Point Loma Garden Club Annual Meeting: Officers installation, awards program, 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 12, Portuguese Hall, 2818 Avenida de Portugal, plgc.org
• Soil Workshop: 2 p.m. Saturday, June 15, OB Library, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. Members of the Master Gardener Association will teach the basic structures of soil and how to cultivate healthy grounds for at-home vegetable gardens. (Part three of six-part series). Free. (619) 531-1532.
• 40th annual OB Street Fair & Chili Cook-Off: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, June 22, festival nosh, art, beachfront entertainment, shopping and chili competition with tastings from amateur entrants competing for the titles of Hottest Chili, Judges’ Award and Grand Prize: People’s Choice Award. (619) 224-4906. oceanbeachsandiego.com
—Compiled by Savanah Duffy. Please send event submissions for the July issue by Friday, June 7 to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 875-5953.