What’s happening in Point Loma and Ocean Beach: Calendar of events for April/May 2019
• Bingo Games: 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, Portuguese Hall, 2818 Avenida de Portugal. (Doors open 4:30 p.m.) $21 to play all the games; food, drink for purchase, non-profit event. (619) 223-5880.
• Citizenship Classes: 12:30-3:30 p.m. Saturdays, through June 1, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Register in class or call (619) 388-1873.
• Friday Night Liberty: 5-9 p.m. first Fridays at Liberty Station, 2640 Historic Decatur Road, open studios and performances. Next event May 3. (619) 573-9306. libertystation.com
• Midway Community Planning Group: Meets 3 p.m. third Wednesdays at San Diego Community College District, Continuing Education, West City Campus, 3249 Fordham St., Room 208. Next meeting May 15.
• OB Farmers Market: 4-8 p.m. Wednesdays down Newport Avenue with entertainment, street food, flowers, crafts and produce for show and sale. (619) 279-0032.
• OB Library: Open 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday; 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday. Closed Sunday, 4801 Santa Monica Ave. Children’s Story Hour 10 a.m. Thursdays; Family Craft Hour 12:30 p.m. Thursdays; Baby/Children’s Yoga, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Signing Crafts & Games, infants-preschoolers, 3:15 p.m. Mondays, Signs at Play, 10:30 a.m. Fridays. (619) 531-1532.
• OB Town Council: Meets 7 p.m. fourth Wednesdays at Masonic Center, 1711 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. Next meeting April 24. (619) 515-4400. obtowncouncil.org
• OB Planning Board: Meets 6 p.m. first Wednesdays at OB Rec Center, 4726 Santa Monica Ave. Next meeting May 1. oceanbeachplanning.org
• Peninsula Community Planning Board: Meets 6 p.m. third Thursdays at Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Next meeting April 18. pcpb.net
• Point Loma Association: Meets 7:30 a.m. second Wednesdays at Bali Hai Restaurant, 2230 Shelter Island Drive. Next meeting May 8. pointloma.org
• Mean Green Team Clean-ups: 9 a.m. Fridays. Location posted on Point Loma Association’s Facebook page. Gather at spots around Point Loma to weed, pick up trash, etc. (619) 736-1752. pointloma.org/projects/mean-green-team
• Point Loma/Hervey Library: Open 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Thursday-Saturday; open 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; open 12:30 p.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. 3701 Voltaire St. Kids Song 10:30 a.m. Mondays and 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays (exception: Building Blocks Story Time April 24); Lego Club 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Story Time 10:30 a.m. Thursdays; Arts & Crafts 11:15 a.m. Thursdays; Chess Club 2 p.m. Thursdays; Wigglers and Crawlers Story Time 1 p.m. Sunday April 14 and 28; Wii B’ Gamin’ 2:30 p.m. Fridays; After School Movie Ant-Man and the Wasp 2:30 p.m. Friday April 18. (619) 531-1539.
• Point Loma Native Plant Garden Work Party: 9-11 a.m. first Saturdays and third Sundays, 4444 Greene St. Light gardening activities and guided tour of the garden. All supplies provided. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Bring water and sun protection. Next gatherings April 21 and May 4. E-mail email@example.com or call (619) 297-7380 to RSVP. sandiegoriver.org
• Sunset Cliffs Natural Park Council: Meets 6:45 p.m. first Mondays at Cabrillo Recreation Center, 3051 Canon St. Next meeting May 6. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Zumba Dance Class: 10-11 a.m. Saturdays, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. (619) 531-1539.
• Easter Sunrise Service: 6:30 a.m. (gate opens 6 a.m.) Sunday, April 21, lower parking lot of Cabrillo National Monument, 1800 Cabrillo Memorial Drive. The Kiwanis Club of Point Loma presents 70th annual non-denominational service followed by coffee, tea and pastries. Seating for 700. Free. (619) 519-3812 or visit Kiwanis Club of Point Loma Facebook page
• Point Loma Library Easter Egg Hunt: 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Sunday, April 21, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. (619) 531-1539. Sandiegolibrary.org
• Spring into STEAM: “Dive in! Create-a-Creature,” 4:30-6 p.m., Thursday, April 23, Community Room, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Register online. (619) 531-1539. bit.ly/springintosteam
• Picture This Tuesdays: “First Man” screens, 6 p.m. April 23, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. “Searching” screens 6 p.m. April 30. (619) 531-1539. sandiegolibrary.org
• Anthony Garcia & Friends concert: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 24, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Traditional and contemporary Flamenco guitar music. Free. (619) 531-1539.
• Early History of Disneyland: as seen on the pages of the Disneyland News, 1 p.m., Wednesday, April 24, Point Loma Library, 3701 Voltaire St. Historian and author James Keeline gives this Oasis lecture. (619) 531-1539.
• Golden OptimisTiki: 5-11:30 p.m., Friday, April 26, Bali Hai Restaurant, 2230 Shelter Island Drive. Point Loma Optimist Club presents a market, luau and Polynesian floorshow to benefit youth programs. Tickets from $110 at bit.ly/got2019 or pointlomaoptimist.com
• Evening in the Garden fundraiser: 6-8:30 p.m., Friday, May 3, 3215 Tennyson St. Dana Unit of Rady Children’s Hospital Auxiliary presents the second annual cocktail party to benefit Division of Plastic Surgery Craniofacial Services. Pam Caldwell (619) 224-6494 for details. pointlomagardenwalk.com
• Father Joe’s Villages 35th annual Children’s Charity Gala: 5:30-10 p.m. Saturday, May 4, The U.S. Grant Hotel, 326 Broadway. Evening of cocktails, dinner and dancing. Tickets from $350. my.neighbor.org
• Beach Clean-up: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Saturday, May 4, OB Veterans Plaza, corner of Newport Avenue and Abbot Street, sponsored by Surfrider Foundation San Diego County. Robert Cenko: (619) 318-9762.
• Point Loma Garden Club: 10 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, May 8, Portuguese Hall, 2818 Avenida de Portugal. Professional floral designers Larry Anhom and Jerry Parent, new owners of Adelaide’s in La Jolla, do demonstrations and a drawing for Larry’s designs. Members free, $10 for guests. Plgc.org
•Spring into STEAM: Dive in! Making Waves: 4-5:45 p.m., Thursday, May 9, Point Loma/Hervey Library 3701 Voltaire St. Learn about the science behind global warming-reducing marine plants. (619) 531-1539. Facebook.com/pointlomalibrary
• RHAPSODY on The Point: 6 p.m. cocktail hour and silent auction, 7 p.m. concert, Friday, May 10, Humphrey’s Concerts by the Bay, 2241 Shelter Island Drive. Classical music in an intimate and elegant setting. Proceeds benefit Point Loma High School Instrumental Music Program. Tickets from $45. For tickets and more information, visit Rhapsody-OnThePoint.com
• Center for Children 132nd Anniversary: 6 p.m., Saturday, May 11, Humphreys by the Bay, 2241 Shelter Island Drive. Raise funds to support the Center’s programs with cocktails, dinner, auction packages and concert by pianist/composer Matt Savage. RSVP by May 1. Tickets from $350. centerforchildren.org/celebration
• Meditation happiness: 6:30-8:30 p.m., Saturday, May 11, Museum of Photographic Arts, 1649 El Prado, Balboa Park. Buddhist monk, Gen Kelsang Rigpa speaks during an evening of inspiration and insights hosted by Kadampa Meditation Center. Tickets: $25. meditateinsandiego.org
• Fresh Sound Concert: 7:30 p.m., Saturday, May 11, White Box Live Arts in Liberty Station, 2590 Truxton Road, Studio 205, corner of Truxton and Roosevelt. Bill Solomon and David Friend, members of Bent Duo (the emerging NYC-based duo project investigating the limits of chamber music for piano and percussion) perform in the last concert of the season. Tickets are $20, $10 for students. Questions? Visit freshsoundmusic.com or call Bonnie Wright at (619) 987-6214.
—Send events for the June calendar to email@example.com by May 1 deadline.