Ocean Beach MainStreet Association Awards Ceremony
The Ocean Beach MainStreet Association Awards Celebration & Annual Meeting Jan. 23 brought 190 guests to the Masonic Center, where dinner, beverages and desserts from local businesses complemented the evening’s pleasantries. Events and accomplishments from the past year were highlighted and 19 OBMA members were recognized for their contributions to the community.
During the event, Steven Yeng, co-founder of OB Noodle House, The Holding Company and Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey, surprised OBMA with a donation of $10,000 to help fund programs and events, as well as the Fourth of July fireworks show.
The following received People’s Choice awards in their categories:
• Public Safety: San Diego Police Captain Rudy Tai for implementation of a walking patrol and his team’s responsiveness to community concerns.
• Design: The Holding Company for its unique and creative interior and exterior thematic design.
• Economic Vitality: OB Hardware for breathing new life (and new products and services) into a 100-year-old business.
• Promotion: Johny Caito for his efforts in touting Ocean Beach restaurants through OB Eats, his help with OBMA social media workshops, promoting OB Street Fair & Chili Cook-off, as well as the Oktoberfest Brew Fest.
• Customer Service Business of the Year: First Place: Dirty Birds Ocean Beach; Second Place: Ocean Beach Business Center; Third Place: Alicia Shapiro of Aliro Marketing.
• Like A Boss Award: The James Brothers (Pat, Mike, Ron and Greg) for being outstanding members of the community who reflect the late Mike Hardin’s spirit, generosity and love of Ocean Beach. The Like A Boss Award was presented by his son Shane Hardin of Hodad’s, in memory of his father.
Additionally, these individuals were recognized as Community Partners:
• David Surwilo and Michael Hayes, SDPD Community Relations Officers;
• Mark Winkie, OB Town Council;
• Faren Shear, OB Woman’s Club;
• Mike Akey, OB Community Foundation;
• Tom Perrotti, OB Community Development Corporation;
• Andrea Schlageter, OB Planning Board;
• Eric DuVall, OB Historical Society; and
• Dave Martin, president of Point Loma Association. — oceanbeachsandiego.com
Note: We did our best to ensure all names are spelled correctly!
(Troy Orem Photography)