Multiple life terms for S.D. man who killed four during 2016 spree, including fatal attack in Ocean Beach

Jon David Guerrero
Jon David Guerrero interacts with his attorneys during his sentencing hearing Jan. 12 in San Diego County Superior Court. Guerrero, 43, was sentenced to multiple terms of life in prison without parole for a series of attacks in 2016.

Jon David Guerrero pleaded guilty to slayings that included hammering sleeping homeless men with railroad spikes.


A mentally ill San Diego man who admitted to a deadly spree of attacks in 2016, primarily on homeless men — killing three of them by hammering their bodies with railroad spikes — was sentenced Jan. 12 to multiple terms of life in prison without parole. One of the slayings occurred in Ocean Beach.

Jon David Guerrero, 43, received four life sentences without parole, plus an additional 143 years to life in prison for the attacks.

Guerrero’s sentencing in San Diego County Superior Court came nearly a year after he pleaded guilty to murdering four people and assaulting nine others in the bizarre and brutal spree in 2016.

Among the charges he admitted to: four counts of murder, four counts of attempted murder and two counts of arson — two of the slaying victims were set on fire.

“In the summer of 2016, there was a period of about 18 days that the defendant really terrorized the community,” Deputy District Attorney Makenzie Harvey said during Guerrero’s sentencing hearing at the San Diego Central Courthouse.

All but one of the attacks happened between late June and mid-July 2016. Harvey said the assailant targeted “the most vulnerable in our community.” The attacks, she said, “can only be described as brutal, gruesome, horrific.”

Three of the slaying victims were homeless men impaled with spikes as they slept. The fourth was 83-year-old Molly Simons, who was walking to a bus stop in North Park on her way to volunteer at a YMCA when she was struck in the head from behind. Simons suffered a skull fracture and a brain bleed and died a few weeks later.

When Guerrero was arrested, his clothes were spattered with blood. In his backpack, police found a small sledgehammer and railroad spikes.

The only hint at a motive came from his first victim, who was jolted from sleep on a loading dock in East Village when he was stabbed in the face. The victim asked the stranger why he was attacking,

“Because you’re a bum,” Guerrero replied.

Three of those attacked with railroad strikes survived, but all were disfigured and have lasting mental and physical trauma, Harvey said.

The mother of slaying victim Shawn Longley, who was stabbed with a railroad spike as he slept in an Ocean Beach park, told Guerrero during the hearing that he “took away a piece of my heart that I’ll never, ever get back, and I will never ever forgive you for that. Never.’’

Linda Gramlick went on to say that her son was “murdered by a monster for no reason.”

“Jon Guerrero must die for that,” she said. “One way or another, he must die.”

Prosecutors in Guerrero’s case filed special-circumstance allegations — such as multiple killings — that could have meant the possibility of the death penalty. However, Guerrero’s guilty plea came before they announced whether they would seek his execution. His plea called for multiple life terms without parole.

Guerrero suffers from schizophrenia and has spent a lifetime in jail or institutions, although he was living in a low-rent apartment in East Village at the time of the attacks. Questions about his mental competency surrounded the murder case, and he was sent to Patton State Hospital for evaluation and treatment, although he did not plead not guilty by reason of insanity.

“Mr. Guerrero is severely mentally ill,” Deputy Public Defender Danesh Tandon told the judge during the sentencing hearing. “I don’t think anybody doubts that.”

The attorney said Guerrero’s mother — he grew up in Coronado — repeatedly tried to get help for her son. Court records indicate that his illness grew serious when he was 22, about the same time his criminal history started.

“There was a voice screaming in the wind for years and years and years,” Tandon said of Guerrero’s mother. He said she asked for help from mental health professionals, courts, police, “anybody who would listen.”

The attacks rattled the homeless community.

The first came in February 2016 with the man who was stabbed in the face on the loading dock. The next four months were quiet.

Then in late June, two men were attacked. Then a woman two days later. Those three survived.

The attacks turned deadly four days later — July 3 — near Interstate 5 and Moreno Boulevard. Anthony DeNardo, 53, was asleep when he was impaled with a railroad spike and set on fire.

The following day, Longley, 41, was fatally impaled in Ocean Beach.

Two days later, on July 6, Dionicio Vahidy was sleeping under a towel in downtown San Diego when a man on a bike lit the towel on fire. The badly burned 23-year-old died four days later.

Simons was attacked in North Park on July 13.

The spree ended July 15 after two more people were attacked but survived. One victim was asleep on a sidewalk when Guerrero drove a spike into his face. The 58-year-old victim was left blind in his right eye and his left eye was damaged.

Later that day, police stopped Guerrero as he rode a bicycle through the Bankers Hill area and arrested him.

— City News Service contributed to this report.


Get Point Loma-OB Monthly in your inbox every month

News and features about Point Loma and Ocean Beach every month for free

You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Point Loma-OB Monthly.