Lithium battery is suspected of starting fire in Loma Portal home

Crews put out a fire in a Loma Portal home that may have been started by a lithium battery.
Firefighters extinguished a fire April 3 that started in a downstairs closet of a Loma Portal home, possibly when a lithium battery ignited, according to a fire official.

A fire that may have been ignited by a lithium battery stored in a downstairs closet damaged a Point Loma home, a fire official said.

The blaze was reported shortly after 7 a.m. April 3 at the home on Dumas Street near Plum Street in the Loma Portal community, officials said. Residents of the home were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors, San Diego Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Craig Newell told OnScene.TV.

The residents called 911 after getting out of the home, Newell said.

Damage was largely contained to the closet where the battery had been stored. A Fire-Rescue Department report posted online said the cause was “undetermined electrical.”

Video by OnScene.TV showed firefighters removing smoldering items from the home, including a beach towel.

Newell said firefighters tried to minimize water damage to the “beautiful antique home” in fighting the fire. Officials said the fire caused about $15,000 in damage to the home and its contents.


Get Point Loma-OB Monthly in your inbox every month

News and features about Point Loma and Ocean Beach every month for free

You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Point Loma-OB Monthly.